No one asked my opinion

...but I'm going to give it anyway.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Silence

Today in church, we watched a Rob Bell video called Noise. In the middle of it, he 'turns off the TV' and it was completely silent. There were probably 600+ people there, and it was totally silent. We had talked about the time when Elijah thought God was going to come in the wind or an earthquake but he really came in the silence. It was really powerful when the entire place was quiet. It was almost overwhelming. I loved it. There is too much noise in my life. Some of the statements that went on the screen during the silence were, 'do you have trouble knowing what God wants you to do? Is there so much noise in your life that you can't hear God? Maybe we need to stop listening to more sermons and therapy sessions in our troubled and confusing times and have more silence so we can hear God.' It was just really good, esp. for me since I feel like I can't figure out what to do with my life. It's hard for me to have silence or find a solitary place. But I need to. I want to hear God. I need to hear God.
"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." I Kings 19:11-12
"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35

1 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Erin-I didn't even know you had a blog. What the....that's awesome. And...I'm on there TWICE. That's a big deal to me. Well, everything looks great and I have now bookmarked you so I will always and forever know what your random thoughts are through the days.
    I love you!
    Rebecca

     

Post a Comment

<< Home