Yes... I am from the south
So yesterday I had an experience with a fellow
student here at Fuller. For the most part, every student I've met is really nice and helpful and sweet. It's mainly the people in the city who aren't the nicest. Well, yesterday, I was meeting people (for about the millioneth time) and I met this girl from Texas. I told her I was from KY and she was like, oh my brother goes to UK and now he has a beard and is a mountain man and plays bluegrass music (blah blah blah). Well, a few minutes later after I had said a few more things, she looked at me and said, I can tell you're from KY. I was like, oh, how? She's like, you have an accent. I was like, well, I didn't think mine was that bad. She's like, no! It's not hick at all... it's cute. Well, ok. Then she was like, there's another way I can tell you're from the south. I was like, really? How? Well, she put her hand over her mouth (and I could tell she was about to mock me) she was like, your headband matches your watch. Ok - I have 2 watches, one is brown and one is black. I tried to coordinate those with what I am wearing. My headband, however, was peach. I was wearing it b/c I was having a really bad hair day. I wasn't thinking about if it matched or not. I was trying to get the hair out of my face. I was like, oh, I didn't even realize it. Then she was like, all you need are some pearls and you'd be complete. Really? Was she joking me? And isn't she from TEXAS? I mean, that's not that different from the "south." So anyway, I felt like she had mocked me and I was over it. I don't know why people look at the south badly - it is a great place!
In other news, I have met 2 people who haven't met anyone from KY. I am the first. whoo hooo! And 2 people have now commented on my accent.
Plus - last night, when I got home, I had a lot of stuff in my hands and my keys weren't ready but I don't feel scared here so it wasn't a big deal. I feel like my apt/neighborhood is pretty safe. Well, I rounded the corner to my apt from my parking space (which that was an ordeal to get parking in itself!) and what should I see? Not a person hiding to attack or a homeless man
needing food but a raccoon! A raccoon! So it freaked me out b/c I was like, what if it has rabies? I'm going to get attacked by a rabid raccoon. In Pasadena. 20 miles from downtown LA. Why is a raccoon here? But I didn't. Now I carry a flashlight in my purse. Not for safety from people but so I can see that raccoon if it's hanging out at my apt again.
student here at Fuller. For the most part, every student I've met is really nice and helpful and sweet. It's mainly the people in the city who aren't the nicest. Well, yesterday, I was meeting people (for about the millioneth time) and I met this girl from Texas. I told her I was from KY and she was like, oh my brother goes to UK and now he has a beard and is a mountain man and plays bluegrass music (blah blah blah). Well, a few minutes later after I had said a few more things, she looked at me and said, I can tell you're from KY. I was like, oh, how? She's like, you have an accent. I was like, well, I didn't think mine was that bad. She's like, no! It's not hick at all... it's cute. Well, ok. Then she was like, there's another way I can tell you're from the south. I was like, really? How? Well, she put her hand over her mouth (and I could tell she was about to mock me) she was like, your headband matches your watch. Ok - I have 2 watches, one is brown and one is black. I tried to coordinate those with what I am wearing. My headband, however, was peach. I was wearing it b/c I was having a really bad hair day. I wasn't thinking about if it matched or not. I was trying to get the hair out of my face. I was like, oh, I didn't even realize it. Then she was like, all you need are some pearls and you'd be complete. Really? Was she joking me? And isn't she from TEXAS? I mean, that's not that different from the "south." So anyway, I felt like she had mocked me and I was over it. I don't know why people look at the south badly - it is a great place!In other news, I have met 2 people who haven't met anyone from KY. I am the first. whoo hooo! And 2 people have now commented on my accent.
Plus - last night, when I got home, I had a lot of stuff in my hands and my keys weren't ready but I don't feel scared here so it wasn't a big deal. I feel like my apt/neighborhood is pretty safe. Well, I rounded the corner to my apt from my parking space (which that was an ordeal to get parking in itself!) and what should I see? Not a person hiding to attack or a homeless man
needing food but a raccoon! A raccoon! So it freaked me out b/c I was like, what if it has rabies? I'm going to get attacked by a rabid raccoon. In Pasadena. 20 miles from downtown LA. Why is a raccoon here? But I didn't. Now I carry a flashlight in my purse. Not for safety from people but so I can see that raccoon if it's hanging out at my apt again.


1 Comments:
At 6:12 PM,
Anonymous said…
i can murk her, for real. we don't play. ellen
Post a Comment
<< Home